What's new

Fishing Improvements

sswomacc1

First I should mention that I'm a new player yet learning about this server's stuff so my opinion may lack experience.

The new fishing mechanics are nice but they do not solve some of the existing problems with fishing and their introduction leaves some room for improvement.
Hotspots spawn rarely and only last for an extremely short amount of time.
As it is, only players who play the game for several hours straight stand to properly benefit from them.
The server is already giving enough handicaps to the hardcore/high-lvl players as it is - for instance, by allowing them to create and use mid to high lvl farmers with over the top gear that they use to compete with actual new players instead of taking advantage of the farm mode system and lock them to just set 2 farmers accounts every 5 hours instead of 5min.
I get that you want to please that community for obvious reasons but at some point you must be aware you are just pissing on new players and that's not very welcoming.

Anyways, when it comes to fishing I have a few proposals to make things a bit more interesting while trying to minimize the impact it would have on the market.

Hotspots:
- Option A: Increase hotspot duration by at least 20min
- Option B (best in my opinion): Do not increase the hotspot duration but instead make them spawn more frequently
- [Not optional] Allow for different hotspots to spawn in different channels at the same time (to compensate for this do not send a global notice and also do not allow hotspots to be available for people of different kingdoms when in city1/city2)

I understand that this will drop the price of hotspot exclusives by some but a good balance of fun, profit and fairness has to be met in any reasonable game.

Fishing overall:
- Global fish catch rate increase
- Make clams more difficult to obtain from fish to account for the increased catch rate mentioned above - do so proportionally to not affect the current (although broken) market too much.
(This combo is meant to reduce the frustration of casting and getting nothing repeatedly SEVERAL times straight even with +100% catch rate. Right now fishing is too stressfull because of this and there is no need for that)
- Make raw fish worth something at all. We can exchange them at the penguin but that is not enough. Improve their effects and duration at least to the point where even mid level players wouldn't just drop them.
- Improve performance. Right now the fishing mini game causes lag for unknown reasons and in my experience with coding I would almost bet this has something to do with your anti-bot/bot detection measures. Maybe it is maybe its not - doesn't matter - improve the code.
- Extremelly fast fish should have a noticeable higher catch rate. Mind you, not by much ofc. Just enough to be - as I said - 'noticeable' on the long term.

That's all I can think of for now. I like the fishing mini game btw.
If anyone disagrees with any of these I would really love to hear your opinion if its a bit more constructive than just 'because its meant to be hard'.

Toxic

just set 2 farmers accounts every 5 hours instead of 5min.
jesus that's a horrible idea, you know if you're logged on lets say 4 chars because at 105 you have trash drop everywhere so you had to make a 90 farmer to have good drop from bosses... and you farm with 105 char 90 char and 2 buffers, IF you change char or the clients with drop on, drop will automatically go on, on the shamans which you do NOT want. Imagine this happens and you F up when you change it back and now you have drop on one shaman and on the 105 char for 2 hours? XDDDDD hell no

- Global fish catch rate increase
I'd add to this a lil increase in the chance to hook the wet skillbook, since the update I haven't seen it in my fishing attempts and I've spent a decent amount of time fishing trying to get one. Also idk what's the point of being able to use hermit's advice on it if it can still fail - Really hoping Snake will enlighten me as to why this is okay, I am genuinely lost on words

- Extremelly fast fish should have a noticeable higher catch rate
YES, if you have to be extra handy and careful to catch it you should also get to catch whatever you had hooked with it - you struggle to click on it 3 times while it's literally a fish on crack and then you fail to catch whatever fish was hooked.. it sucks

sswomacc1

IF you change char or the clients with drop on, drop will automatically go on, on the shamans which you do NOT want. Imagine this happens and you F up when you change it back and now you have drop on one shaman and on the 105 char for 2 hours? XDDDDD hell no
You are right on that and I thought about it but didnt mention a theoretical solution because its too obvious. Logging in with previously non selected accounts should not automatically set them to farm mode even if no other account is logged - instead they should receive a very visible warning on logging for the first time. Cmon this kind of stuff can be solved programatically by a 12yo. There are MANY ways to go around this and the '5' hours was just an exaggerated, simplistic example not to be taken seriously. Besides, I just mentioned it as sort of a mini rant because I'm a new player - it was never a suggestion in the first place because I'm pretty dam sure the devs thought about it and decided otherwise when they first wrote the current farm mode. You cannot come up and write the 5min restriction without thinking about this stuff.
I'd add to this a lil increase in the chance to hook the wet skillbook
I managed to get 1 within 2h of fishing casually with coffee breaks but the people around me did not. I figured it is more or less the same amount of time it takes you to get enough clams to get a white pearl from it - on average. Not great but not super terrible. Then again maybe I was just really lucky.

Also while I'm here I'll add another thing I forgot to include:
- After you fix the fishing mini game performance issues, make Failed Hits slightly decrease catch rate in order to give players who are more skilled at the game an actual - justified - advantage.

TVA

Another issue is pearls availability, it's way cheaper to buy the Grudge/Poison/62 lvl earrings/70 lvl armor than to make your own.
The prices of white pearls was cheaper previously so after the current stock will be sold, the 75 lvl players will spend more time making the gear.

Asteria

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

to be honest i dont know if any more changes/improvements are planned on fishing at the moment (probably later on if any) but i forwarded your suggestions to the team. Thank you very much for your input regarding this matter.

Have fun.
Regards