What's new

How to get rid of fishbots

Zaton

add fishing captcha after 15 minutes of fishing, if you dont finish the captcha you get teleported to town and fish rod unequipped.

no long term solution but it takes time till bot developer make a workaround or botter need manually to intervent
Played on a server where you had to do a captcha every 10-15 min and it worked wonders against botters. Good Idea.

WhatTheFox

add fishing captcha after 15 minutes of fishing, if you dont finish the captcha you get teleported to town and fish rod unequipped.

no long term solution but it takes time till bot developer make a workaround or botter need manually to intervent
That's a pretty good idea

Sheen

Game Master
Staff member
Game Master
Hello!

I am against your suggestion.
Why?
Adding a new map, especially fishing, will cause a slight loss of city life.
Many new players explore map one at the beginning of their game. If they see a small number of players, they may become discouraged. Many of them will not notice the new map / that other players can farm. Map1 plays a very important role.

In my opinion, if the water on the map was edited in 90%, it would be the best solution.
- Remove the possibility of fishing in other spots (mountains, blah blah, out of town)
- Leave only the most popular fishing spots.

Also, editing shouldn't take as much time as a new map.
Additional verification via Captcha code is nice, i like it!

Have a nice day,
Sheen.

Lestat

No please, not captcha, fishing is already slow.

However fishing inside the city walls could be a solution yes, I think...

macelll

Fishing inside city and only on ch1 should be enough to discourage fish bot. And it's a great idea because this way there will be more players in map1 ! But , at least, pvp shouldn't be allowed in fishing areas ....it's not fun when ppl come to kill fishers for offline shop or for whatever reason. Idk if we need captcha at all, if it will be only in city of map1 and ch1 only. It will be really interesting for new players when they will see 50ppl or more crowded to fish in map1 !

Incendium

I find any kind of captcha inside a game kind of lore/immersion breaking. I don't know how bots work, how easy it is to circumvent anti-bot measures but, here goes one idea:

Fishing only allowed near Fisherman. One Fisherman per Village.

To fish you need to talk to the fisherman so he gives you a permit, because overfishing has declined fish population. This permit must be refreshed by the fisherman by talking to him every 25~30min. When you talk to him, to renew your permit, you will have two chat options: Yes, I want to refresh my permit! / No, I became vegetarian. This options changes order randomly. Or, if this is too easy to circumvent, he asks you a question about fishes, and you have to type your answer correctly.

Last edited:

User

Fishing captcha is not good. You shouldn't punish normal people that want to make content. Like captcha every 1 hour is ok, but every 15minutes it will get really tired and people that enjoy fishing will just go other server because for them sometimes gameplay doesn't matter as long as they can chill fish and then buy eq.